This blog post is updated with the latest information from 2018
Welcome to Stockholm and KTH
This blog post has some important information related to the arrival days at KTH, which are organized to ease the arrival process for new students.
Arrival Day services
One of the things about joining KTH that impressed me the most was the Arrival services. They made a lot of things hassle-free and in fact, took away half of the worries. Having pre-decided arrival days not only it makes things convenient but gives a perfect chance to meet people and make new friends.
During the Autumn semester of 2018, there are three official Arrival days for KTH: 1st, 18th, and 19th August. If you arrive on one of these days, the following services are available for you on campus and airport.
On campus services: (August 2018)
- The Arrival Day site on campus will be open 10:00 ‑ 22:00; (chill out area, refreshments, restrooms, luggage storage service).
- Key pick up service for students who have accommodation through KTH. When picking up your key on one of the appointed KTH Arrival Days you will also get a free bedding kit (pillow and duvet).
- Meet current students and representatives from the Student Union (THS). Find out how to meet new friends and sign up for the social activities arranged by THS.
- Get started with your personal KTH-account. Activating your IT-account enables you to get started with the wifi and familiarize with the settings and the other services included in the personal menu (printers, software and more). N.B. Please bring your passport and a Swedish SIM-card (provided on the bus from Arlanda or by THS).
- Pick up the Checklist for new students at KTH. It will help you get started on campus.
- Chill and enjoy additional services such as the free Arrival BBQ (hosted by the Student Union), refreshments, luggage storage service and more.
Airport services: Student guides welcoming you at terminal 2 and terminal 5, between 09.00-21.00
Approach them – they are expecting you and will happily answer any question you might have and assist you with the last leg of your journey. Free bus transfer service to KTH Campus
Buses running every hour, starting at 09.00 (sharp) in the morning. The last bus will leave at 21.00 (sharp) in the evening. The bus will pick you up at terminal 5 and will take approximately 45-60 min to KTH Campus. Student guides will be your host on the bus.
The Goodie Bag (Latest info not available) The students usually get a goodie bag on the bus, I am not aware of the contents of the goodie bag yet. But if you’re interested to know, the goodie bags distributed in 2017 had the following items: (you can be sure for the SIM card, as it is distributed every year) SIM Card: You’ll get a preactivated free SIM card from Halebop with a month of free usage (1GB Data, 50 Local minutes, 500 Texts), after that you’ll have to reload it, It’s a prepaid SIM card and there is no contract. If you don’t take the free bus then you can collect this SIM card from the Student Union office later. A water bottle: Tired from a long journey? You’ll get a water bottle as well, feel free to refill it with tap water, Tap water is drinkable in Sweden, and you can refill it from any toilet or kitchen (don’t be surprised to find toilet and drinking water in the same sentence). Map and Travel Guide: You’ll get a Map of Stockholm and a mini Stockholm Travel Guide as well. Reflector: Put this reflector somewhere visible, you’ll keep getting reflectors at various career fairs and events as well, keep them all and make your backpack the most reflective thing ever. This will make sure no one hits you while you’re walking on the street during the dark Swedish winter.
Getting to your place from Campus
Once you are at the campus and have collected your keys, you will need to go with the public transport to get to your apartment, for those who are going to live on the campus, they’ll just need to walk.
- For accessing public transport, you need SL Card. To buy the SL Card, you will need to go to a store called Pressbyrån. You will find Pressbyrån at every metro station, it’s even at the airport in case you wish to buy the metro card there.
Please note that you cannot buy the discounted student ticket unless you have a valid student ID (Mecenat or Studentkortet).
If you want to buy single journey tickets, then they can be bought at the ticket vending machines or the SL app for 44 SEK, all machines have the option to be operated in English, so that should not be a problem, you can also use SL App for buying tickets.
What if I come outside the working hours
If you arrive outside of the opening hours on arrival days there will not be a free transfer bus service from Arlanda airport to KTH Campus. However, there are many other options to get from Arlanda airport to KTH Campus. Read more:
Some more information
Getting a SIM card is fairly easy in Sweden, once you have landed at the airport find one of these stores – Pressbyrån or 7Eleven (ask for student offer if they have), they are both ubiquitous and sell SIM cards. There would be free wireless internet at the Reception area at KTH.
Shopping: ICA, Lidl, and Willys are the stores that I’d recommend for grocery shopping, Coop and Hemköp are comparatively expensive for a student budget. New Yorker, HnM, and Zara are good for buying clothes, Biltema, Jula, IKEA for electronics, (If you want white lights (cool white), you’ll find them at Biltema or Jula only).
Swedish metro Etiquette: Stand on the right side on the Escalators, leave the left half for anyone who needs to walk fast. Don’t be loud while traveling, respect others’ privacy and their personal space. Try not to eat inside the metro.
Getting Around: If you intend to use public transport, read this detailed post about accessing public transport in Stockholm.
Facebook Groups & Websites
- THS (KTH Student Union)
- Lappis Market
- Stockholm Student Accommodation
- THS Housing Market
- Looking for accommodation in Stockholm
- People looking for a flatshare in Stockholm!
- Lägenheter i Stockholm
- Meet new friends in Stockholm
- Kungshamra Market
- Find Accommodation in Stockholm
- SUS Billboard (sell, exchange & accommodation)
- Rooms/Housing Stockholm